Dealing with Divorce: Who to Live With

Posted by | December 12, 2016 | Family, Relationships | One Comment

I was wondering what the required amountĀ of counseling is to decide which parent to permanently stay with if your parents are getting a divorce?

One Comment

  • BYS Therapist says:

    Hi there,

    Thanks for reaching out to us.

    The process is different for every divorce. Sometimes, kids go to counseling as part of the process of figuring where they will live when parents get divorced. Other times, kids go to counseling because adjusting to a new family situation is stressful and they want someone to talk to. Some kids don’t go to counseling.

    In your situation, you might want to first start by asking your parents about it, if you haven’t already. Not knowing how it affects your future can be confusing and scary, and it’s important to let the adults know that you have questions, and not let these thoughts get bottled up inside.

    Sometimes, it might be hard to even try to bring up the question. If there’s another trusted adult in your life, you may want to ask them to help you talk with your parents. Or, if you are already seeing a counselor, to bring up this question with your counselor first.

    If you live near us and want to come talk to us, you can ask your parents to send in an appointment request at, or ask your school counselor to help you get more information about it.

    Good luck, and take care,
    BYS Counselor

Leave a Reply

How Can We Help You? Seek Help